Welcome to Scroggsland! No babies (yet), no home renovations (yet) just life's ramblings....Meet the fam-Elliott & Holly, Liza and Ruger.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

LSU vs Florida

As football season in well underway, we decided to do a Dupree Dental tailgate for the Florida game.  To prepare for our tailgate, we had to start a Pinterest board for all our ideas, of course! We pulled recipes, decor ideas, and Ashley made the cutest invitation! (it's obvious that I work with all women, right?)



I decided to make my version of SkinnyGirl Sangria since it was a 2:30 game and I wasn't planning on guzzling beer or drinking whiskey.  
This is the link to Bethenny Frankel's Sangria:
I usually tweek the recipe here and there depending on what I have but ever since first making it, I have been hooked and love a "white" sangria.

This next one will definitely feed a crowd so it's perfect for a tailgate!
Feta Black Bean Dip is filling and light at the same time so you don't end up feeling like you've over eaten (which is always the case for me on gameday!)

Now, what tailgate is complete without something sweet? My sister in law made these awhile back and I haven't stopped thinking about them! These Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes were so good and actually easy! The hardest part was icing them (presentation is not a strength of mine). I made them in a mini muffin tin as bite size is easier at a tailgate and iced them once I got there as I wasn't quite sure how to transport 48 decorated mini cupcakes!

Since we were playing Florida it was only appropriate to have gator so Elliott decided to fry up some "Gator Bites". They were amazing (as if he ever disappoints, especially when it comes to food!!) And he made the most incredible sauce...it tasted just like The Chimes' gator sauce! Sorry I can't give you any recipes, they are all in Elliott's head!

We had tons of other great food, a good playlist, and lots of friends! Since it was such a success I hope it turns into a yearly event!


And just because I love LSU football and tailgating with friends, these are 2 more of my favorite tailgate dishes.

Holly Clegg Ooey Gooey Squares
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
1 tbsp. water
1 8 oz package reduced fat cream cheese
1 16 oz box confectioners sugar
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, egg and water until well mixed.  Spread batter into bottom of 13x9x2 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.  In another bowl, beat together cream cheese, confectioners sugar, egg whites, and vanilla.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour this mixture over batter in pan.  Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown.  

Bleu Cheese Bacon Dip
1/2 cup sour cream
1 4 oz package crumbled bleu cheese
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons diced onion
1/8 tsp hot sauce
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Process first 5 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.  Stir in half of bacon.  Cover and chill 2 hours.  Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and bleu cheese crumbles. Serve with assorted crackers.  

This dip isn't something I would normally make (as I usually like lighter fare) but because Elliott gives me a hard time about making "girly food" for our tailgates, I decided I would make something a bit more hearty...so I went with bacon! What dish with bacon doesn't scream "MAN FOOD"? This was 2 football seasons ago and I have gotten many requests since then! (and I really like it too!)

GEAUX TIGERS!

1 comment: