Welcome to Scroggsland! No babies (yet), no home renovations (yet) just life's ramblings....Meet the fam-Elliott & Holly, Liza and Ruger.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

summer sweets

a few sweets i've cooked up this summer...

As I've said before, I love all things lime so when I saw this recipe for Lime Sorbet, I wanted to make it immediately! I've made sorbet before but this recipe calls for an egg white which I think definitely makes a difference! If you like lime, you should check out the recipe, it was very easy and so good! http://bakecookeat.blogspot.com/2010/07/smooth-homemade-lime-sorbet-without-ice.html

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

I saw this next recipe on Pinterest and knew it would be a hit!  I had been wanting make them but didn't want to single handedly eat a whole batch so when we were invited to some friend's house for a fish fry I knew it was the perfect opportunity to try them out.  Elliott always turns his nose up when I eat raw cookie dough but thankfully this recipe is an eggless cookie dough and covering it in chocolate just takes it to the next level!
 (Clearly I need a bit more practice with the chocolate coating but not too bad for the first time)



I've been making this next one since high school and it's always a crowd pleaser! It's a Pampered Chef recipe and I always make it on my Pampered Chef baking stone. I brought it to the river for the 4th of July and rekindled my love for this easy treat! I'm not sure of it's official name but I call it Mississippi Mud Cookie Cake
Ingredients:
1 roll cookie dough (or half batch homemade dough)
8 ounces cream cheese 
powdered sugar
1 packet Jello instant chocolate pudding (this calls for 1 c milk)
heavy whipping cream or tub of cool whip
Dark chocolate shavings for garnish

Directions:
Flour or grease your baking sheet or stone and roll cookie dough onto surface. You may need some flour on your hands since it will be sticky.  I usually make homemade cookie dough and have plenty extra dough to freeze for later. Bake the cookie as directed (usually 350 degrees for 10-ish minutes). Meanwhile, mix cream cheese (I use fat free-once you add all the sugar you can't taste the difference) and powdered sugar (until it's sweet enough for you-anywhere from 1-2 cups). Make sure cookie has cooled and spread cream cheese mixture to cover cookie completely.  Put in refrigerator and let cream cheese harden (about 20 minutes).  While that's in the fridge, make instant pudding.  Spread pudding over entire cookie surface and put back in the fridge for another 20 minutes. It's really important for the pudding to set on the cookie before trying to spread the whipped cream.  If it's not set, they will run together and mess up the layered effect.  I like to make my own whipped cream. I usually use about 1 cup heavy whipping cream and a few tbsp powdered sugar. If not, cool whip works fine too, just don't use the Redi-Whip in a can- it will liquify and gets runny! The last step is Elliott's favorite and he usually likes to do the garnish. You can take a chocolate bar and box grater and pretty the whole thing up! I added the strawberry for a colorful touch!

This recipe is the reason I keep chocolate pudding and cream cheese on hand at all times!

I'm not sure where I first saw the recipe for Grilled Peaches, but they have become quite a regular ending to meals around our house lately!

It's really quite simple...slice peaches in half. Brush open face side with melted butter. Grill open side down first, then flip after about 2-3 minutes and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar then fill seed pit with dark chocolate morsels and grill for another 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is melted!

No comments:

Post a Comment