Welcome to Scroggsland! No babies (yet), no home renovations (yet) just life's ramblings....Meet the fam-Elliott & Holly, Liza and Ruger.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lasagna

Call me crazy but I really like Stouffer's frozen lasagna and always thought homemade lasagna was a long, drawn out process that I wasn't ready to try. So, needless to say, I had never made lasagna until I saw this recipe in Real Simple.  I decided to take the plunge as it didn't look too complicated AND it didn't make a huge size so I thought it would be perfect for 2! I have made it a few times and have made a few changes from the original recipe but it is very simple, quick, and perfect portion for 2 (with leftovers, of course).

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce container ricotta
4 cups chopped baby spinach (chopped)
2 cups grated mozzarella
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Parmesan 
salt & pepper
1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
6 no-boil lasagna noodles

Preparation:
In a bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
In the bottom of a microwave-safe 8 inch square baking dish, spread 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup sauce, and 1/2 the ricotta mixture; repeat. Top with remaining 2 noodles, sauce,  mozzarella, and parmesan.  
Cover with wax or parchment paper, then a plate, and microwave on high until the noodles are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

*a few things I changed- after making the recipe a few times, I found it cooked better when I boiled the noodles before hand even though they were "no-boil." I also used 8 noodles instead of 6.  I always use more cheese, especially parmesan and I'm not the best at exact measurements so if you're a recipe follower, stick to the above!

Now this is my go-to lasagna recipe and I haven't bought a Stouffer's since! BUT, I won't completely rule them out-I'm sure I'll like the frozen choice when kiddo's come around!

No comments:

Post a Comment