Welcome to Scroggsland! No babies (yet), no home renovations (yet) just life's ramblings....Meet the fam-Elliott & Holly, Liza and Ruger.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Biscuits


Did you know that September in National Biscuit Month? I didn't either until my friends at Chick-fil-A informed me on twitter. With that said, I recently saw a recipe for biscuits that took me straight back to my childhood. It's the easiest biscuit recipe and the best if you like a light, fluffy biscuit.
Growing up, my mom's best friend lived in Austin.  We refer to her as "Aunt Terri" although there's no blood relation. We would visit her a good bit and she always made the best biscuits. She told me it was Popeye's secret recipe and it called for sprite and sour cream.  I thought that was the strangest thing as a child but they were always so good and I requested them when we would visit her or she came to Louisiana.  She even made them for me the day before I got married!
So now, after 4+ years of marriage and less visits with Aunt Terri, I figure I ought to step up and start making the famous Popeye's (not so secret anymore) biscuits! The recipe is all over the internet but I'll share it here too!

Popeye's Biscuits
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sprite
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 450.
Melt butter in bottom of 9x9 glass dish.
Add sour cream to Bisquick. Add sprite.
 This will make a very soft and sticky dough.
Place dough on lightly floured surface.
Most recipes will tell you to roll out the dough and cut out biscuits,
but I just flour my hands and scooped a handful of dough and drop them in the dish.
The biscuits won't be uniform, so if that bothers you, roll it out and use a cookie cutter!
Bake about 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

This recipe made 9 regular size biscuits so if you've got a crowd, double it!
The perfect topping for the perfect biscuit? Homemade blueberry jam, of course!




No comments:

Post a Comment